How can YOU help us?
There are very many ways in
which you can help us out - for some of them, you don't need any special
skills. Being able to read is of some help though. :)
Here's a (far from complete) list of things you could do - let us
know if there's anything that should be added.
- Read the scripts - and send us some feedback on them. Even
a oneliner, such as "great story" or "this piece of crap
sucks completely" can be helpful - knowing what people like and
what they don't like is a great help.
The scripts can be found here.
- Fix up the scripts - even a script that looks complete can
take some fixing - you can add or modify scenes (or remove them if you
think they're boring), point out flaws in the logic of a story, and/or
help us fix up the spelling and grammar. We are an international project,
and not every participant is a native English speaker, so some language
constructs will probably be flawed.
Of course, you're equally welcome to write your own script (or storyline
or just story idea). This can be anything you want. Our first nearly
finished script may be a science fiction script, but that doesn't
mean we're a sci-fi group. We could just as easily be working on something
Some of the ideas deal with other genres already.
- You do not need to know anything about writing to help us with
the scripts. You don't need to be a professional writer to have a funny
idea, to see a flaw in the logic of a story, or to notice spelling/grammar
mistakes. If you make mistakes, it doesn't mean your contribution isn't
valuable - since we're all about open source, someone else can jump
in and fix it!
- Don't assume just because something is obvious, it has already
been reported. Chances are that if something is bad and hasn't been
fixed, we aren't aware of it. Besides, getting the same report 10 times
is better than not getting it at all.
- Don't be afraid to make a "stupid" suggestion. We
won't kill you for making a suggestion we don't like, and we don't think
that someone is stupid just for making a suggestion we don't agree with.
And you aren't endangering the project, because we can always decide
not to follow this particular decision.
The only stupid suggestions are those that aren't made.
- Design scenery, clothing, artifacts, ... - if you've read a
story, draw the items, characters, etc. appearing there - we need to
know what our stuff looks like... Again, the only stupid suggestions
are those that aren't made. It doesn't have to be perfect - if
you don't get it right, other people (including yourself!) can start
improving what you've done until it gets there.
As with the scripts, send comments on the things that are already there.
Comments are always helpful.
- Make them!
- you think that, for example, a costume design is great? Go ahead and
turn it into reality!
- Write some music... or listen to some - any good film needs
some background music, a title theme, etc.
- Create or improve sound effects
- Do some programming... - We need help developing our software
- feel free to jump in, or just start your own project. We don't claim
to have a complete list of what could be useful.
- Improve the website - You're currently looking at our website...
Did you notice anything that could be better? Either improve it yourself,
or let us know what needs to be improved.
If you don't know anything about the internals of website building,
don't be afraid - it's not difficult, and we have some people who can
- Improve/write documentation - both for handling the software
and for non-technical things related to filmmaking (creating latex masks,
camera handling, ...), some HOWTOs would be a great addition.
As with the other things, sending comments on the documentation that
exists is much better than doing nothing.
- Translate it - we're an international group, so translating
the scripts, website, documentation, ... would be very helpful.
- Spread the word... - Let other people who might be interested
know - your friends, university drama societies, amateur dramatics groups,
theatrical schools, ...
Do NOT, under any circumstances, use illegal/unethical methods, such
as unsolicited bulk email (UBE, SPAM) to do this.
- Something else? - Maybe we've overlooked a task that needs
to/should be done? Let us know!
Found anything you'd like to do? Great! Please take a second to drop a note
and let everyone know so we can coordinate our work with you! If you need
additional resources (mailing lists, CVS servers, etc.) for the area you
intend to work on, talk to firstname.lastname@example.org
- we're sure we can find a solution in a reasonable time.